Tasteful Dining Room Flooring
The dining area is where we gather with family and friends for bonding over meals. This room should be an inviting, comfortable place where everyone feels relaxed. No matter whether your style is traditional or casual, these dining room flooring options will help set the mood for an enjoyable mealtime experience.
Best Flooring Options for Dining Rooms
- Hardwood – An expanse of beautiful hardwood flooring is impressive in a dining room. Its exceptional durability easily handles shuffling feet and chairs, plus a quick sweep is all it takes to clear crumbs. The natural warmth and texture of wood also adds a welcoming touch. Choose lighter woods like ash and maple for a more open and airy feel. The rich, medium tones of species like hickory and red oak lend a warm and cozy touch. Bold, dark colors like that of walnut and mahogany have a refined and timeless quality. With more than 50 domestic and exotic species of hardwood flooring available, you can achieve a unique look that matches your style.
- Laminate – If you’re decorating on a tight budget, laminate flooring is an attractive alternative to genuine wood. Laminate floors capture all the sophisticated beauty of the finest natural hardwoods but at a fraction of the cost. Laminate also offers many great features and benefits that make it perfect for dining rooms – easy upkeep, exceptional durability, scratch and stain resistance, and even easy DIY installation . . . just to name a few!
- Stone, Slate and Ceramic Tile – In addition to wood designs, you’ll also find stone, slate and ceramic tiles looks. Thanks to advanced printing and embossing techniques, laminate surfaces so realistically capture texture, depth and natural colorations that they’re almost indistinguishable from the real thing.
- Carpet – For a softer dining room flooring option, wall-to-wall carpeting [link] works magic with dampening sound, creating a quieter atmosphere. Opt for a stain-resistant fiber, however, in case of food or beverage spills. Wool, olefin and polyester are all good options.
- Area Rugs – Use area rugs to visually enhance your dining room and to break up a continuous floor. Oriental style rugs are a classic choice for traditional dining rooms, but a bold-colored patterned rug can really make a color scheme pop. The subtle texture of natural fiber rugs adds depth and contrast, plus is great for hiding stains. Tip for finding the right size area rug: Your rug should be large enough that when you push every chair back from the table, all the legs stay on the rug.
These practical and stylish dining room flooring ideas will help you create a mealtime experience that’s perfect for every day as well as for entertaining.