February 26, 2016
TO: ALL MANNINGTON DISTRIBUTORS AND CUSTOMERS
On February 21, 2016, 60 Minutes aired a follow up segment regarding formaldehyde emissions from laminate flooring sold by Lumber Liquidators. Since then, numerous other reporting sources have repeated the findings of the story. This news cycle has reinvigorated the questions about laminate flooring and its potential health effects on consumers.
The following are a few key facts regarding this latest report.
- The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) conducted an investigation at the direction of the Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC) to determine the potential effects of exposure to Chinese produced laminate flooring from Lumber Liquidators, following the initial investigations back in 2015.
- It is without dispute that the Chinese produced laminate flooring purchased from Lumber Liquidators did not comply with CARB (California Air Resources Board) guidelines for formaldehyde emissions. When 60 Minutes conducted their initial report, they indicated that among all of their testing, it was only Chinese produced laminate sourced from Lumber Liquidators which did not meet CARB guidelines. All US produced laminate was found to be compliant.
- The recent CDC report, issued February 10, 2016 suggested negligible health effects. 60 Minutes had the report independently verified. Through independent verification, it was determined that the CDC miscalculated the results of their report.
- On February 18, 2016, the CDC issued a new statement that they were in the process of producing a new report. By adjusting their findings, they determined that “Exposure to the lowest modeled levels of formaldehyde could result in ear, nose, and throat irritation for anyone…” The revised statement also speculated about the potential for increased risk of cancer from the Chinese produced laminate flooring. The CDC will be issuing a revised report in the coming weeks.
The following are some key facts regarding Mannington laminate flooring:
- All of our laminate flooring is produced in the United States. As noted during the original 60 Minutes segment, the producers of the program purchased more than 150 cartons of laminate flooring around the state of California and had the flooring tested for formaldehyde emissions. The only products failing the test were Chinese produced laminate flooring sold by Lumber Liquidators.
- We certify our product to the NALFA LF-01 standard. This requires 3rd party testing and includes conformance to the CARB standard. Attached to this communication is a copy of our laminate specification letter. Additional information can be found at www.nalfa.com.
- We certify our laminate flooring to the FloorScore indoor air quality standard. This also requires 3rd party testing to the CA1350 standard, which is even more stringent than the CARB formaldehyde standard. Further information regarding FloorScore may be found at www.scsglobalservices.com/floorscore.
- Over the past year, we have sampled product in the field to confirm our regular testing. Test results show that our products emit below any measurable level (BLQ). Please see an example of a product tested from the field.
As always, you can remain confident in the safety and quality of Mannington laminate flooring. Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
MANNINGTON MILLS, INC.
Senior Director of Residential Products